“Heaven” Salted Buttered Caramel Bacon Gelato

I honestly loved taking the pictures and writing this post. Writing a post is much easier when you can prepare something that you love so much and you enjoy being able to take pictures and write about it. I love caramel, butter, cream and bacon. Since working  with bacon from Eden Farms my relationship with bacon has changed. I use way too much bacon. This bacon is thick cut, smoked and as tender as they come. When I was reading  a recipe for salted caramel gelato I wanted to drop everything I was doing and immediately prepare the recipe. Then it came to me: smoked bacon and salted caramel, heaven! They go together so well.

As Homer Simpson would say” Mmmm bacon”

Cook a half pound of bacon on a wire rack in the oven until crisp. Drain the bacon and then chop  into small pieces.

Lightly oil a large cookie sheet, set aside.

There are a lot of ways to caramelize sugar and I find that this is the easiest, with minimal time and without burning. Start out by placing a thick heavy duty sauce pot on high heat  and let it heat up a little before adding the sugar. You will need one cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. I used a smoky Hawaiian sea salt. Add just about a quarter of the sugar while stirring with a wooden spoon.

The sugar will caramelize quickly and as it caramelizes add another quarter cup of the sugar and repeat until all the sugar is caramelized.

Add the sea salt and the chopped bacon. Spread the mixture onto the greased cookie sheet and cool. Chop the bacon brittle into small pieces and then place them in the refrigerator to chill.

In another large sauce pan caramelize 1 1/2 cups of sugar using the same method as above.

Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 cup of salted butter. Stir until all the butter is melted.

Stir in 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 4 cups of whole milk.

Add one Tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

The mixture will seize up  a little, just keep stirring over medium heat until all of the caramelized sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. In a mixing bowl add 10 egg yolks. To temper, pour half of the warm cream mixture into the yolks and then pour this back into the sauce pot with the  warm cream mixture. Place back on the stove and heat over medium heat until thick and coats the back of a spoon.

Strain mixture through a fine strainer into a mixing bowl. Set this bowl over a ice bath to cool quickly. When cool cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.

Always cool your ice cream maker a little before adding the custard. When gelato is finished fold in the bacon brittle and freeze.

If I don’t say so myself, I just love this shot.

14 Responses to “ ““Heaven” Salted Buttered Caramel Bacon Gelato”

1. Nico says:

You scored a 100 on the grammar check with this one. Please save a batch for me!

2. Ron Levi says:

This post just elicited a response the magnitude of which would have put Pavlov’s dogs to shame! Bravo to you chef! I now know which dessert I would request at my last meal.

3. E. Langfelder says:

I have got to have some of this and I have got to have it now! My mouth is salivating! I am calling McKendrick’s now to see if it’s available.

4. sherial says:

after sampling this last night, i can attest that it tastes even better than it looks or sounds. thank you, chef, for the special treat!

5. Devany says:

I have been making salted caramel gelato for a few months… I make my own bacon, so I am going to have to try this one out for sure! Initially, I thought about adding bacon as a topping, but never got around to it. This sounds interesting, even if it loses it’s crispness. My recipe for the gelato is much the same except it only has 2 eggs (whole, not just yolks) and it uses just 5 cups of heavy cream, no milk. It literally melts in the most velvety way and hits a variety of taste buds that usually provides utterances of “OHhhhhhh” or “OH MY GOD!”

6. maninmanhattan says:

wow. another recipe with sweets and bacon. wasn’t that interesting like 5 years ago? maybe the next recipe should be chocolate covered bacon or maple glazed doughnuts with bacon chips. where’s the originality people? boring… bacon was like 5 years ago. ugh.

7. I do not think I have ever seen this combination and would not have thought of it, even I sat for days! Who would have thought of bacon in Gelato!

Pictures looks great, alas as a vegetarian, I will not be able to taste it! lovely idea though.

8. Not in my wildest dream that Bacon can go with gelato. I am curious to find out what the taste is like. The picture looks fabulous!

9. Teddy H says:

Thank you! I made this with a friend over the weekend for Valentines Day for our ladies. It came out perfect!

One note to others regarding the instructions:
    “Start out by placing a thick heavy duty sauce pot on high heat and walk away for 5 minutes and let it heat up.” BAD IDEA! For folks new to this process, warm the sugar up in the pot. Leaving on HIGH heat for 5 mins started a nice fire and ruined my pot.

10. Chef Thomas Minchella says:

@ Teddy. Thank you for the comment. I changed the procedure in the recipe to reflect your comment. Just remember a recipe is only a guideline!

11. Deanna says:

This sounds wonderful, I am a pastry student and for my practical I have to make a gelato! Thank you

12. ice cream says:

You’re really a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a magnificent job in this topic!

13. best ecigs “Heaven” Salted Buttered Caramel Bacon Gelato | Culinary Comfort